Monthly Archives: February 2011
This was one of my favorite dresses, but I think this may have been its last outing. It’s been two years since I made it, two years where I wore it frequently, and it’s showing its age. It is time for a replacement, and I’ve picked out the new fabric:
Dress: One Avian Daemon
Last Sunday I took my boyfriend to the Marin Headlands to hike along the foggy coastline and climb around in old bunkers. The best part was the path to the Point Bonita Lighthouse. There’s a long narrow tunnel through a big ocean rock leading to an old suspension bridge (above). On the other side of the bridge is the lighthouse, perched on another tall ocean rock with the waves crashing around it.
This cowl neck top is quite easy to make. It has only four seams and you can create the pattern yourself. Continue reading
There’s a new item up in my store! The shaping in this cloche comes from mismatched curves in every seam – a gentle curve above and a more rounded one below. It took me a few tries to figure out how big the difference should be. My first attempt didn’t have nearly enough difference between the curves and made a very narrow hat that would only have fit a cassowary. The second time I over did it and knew as soon as I’d sewn the first two pieces together that it curved too fast. But the third hat was just right. The sides curved up gently, making a round shape that could actually fit on a head!
Yesterday Prima and I spent the afternoon wandering around downtown Oakland, admiring the beautiful art deco building tops. Beautifully colored tiles, intricate moldings, and some lovely gates. Most of the decorations are right along the tops of the buildings and I don’t know how to take a decent photograph at that angle, so I’m afraid I can’t show them to you. But I do have some pictures of a drop waist dress inspired by the same era.
Dress: One Avian Daemon (not for sale because I can’t find a decent substitute for the fabric)
This shirt began life as a beautiful linen tablecloth belonging to my mother’s stepmother’s mother (my step-great-grandmother?). After many years the stains and tears were too large and numerous to be covered with a strategically placed platter, but it was too special to just throw out. So it became this top.
I designed the top around the lace of the tablecloth, keeping as much intact as possible. There were two sections of lace without major rips or stains, just enough to make the front and back of a shirt. I used a sturdier fabric for the sleeves since they have to hold up when I move my arms and added tablecloth-edge cuffs. This sturdier fabric was a very light weight linen – pretty much anything is sturdier than an old tablecloth.
Since it was a rectangular tablecloth, the lace pattern didn’t point directly at the corner. I chose to line up my pattern with the lace rather than the hem, which leaves the hem higher on one side than the other. I added a little piece of lace from another part of the tablecloth to the edge to even things up a bit. This left it longer on one side than the other, but at least the seams line up.